Many ladies look forward to getting engaged to their boyfriends and have that dream wedding. But how long should an engagement last? And what other expenses and activities come with an engagement?
According to a Samantha Bridal survey, the average engagement period in Kenya lasts between 16-17 months. But there is more…
- According to the survey, 99% of the men do the proposing as compared to the 1% of women who propose to their mates. It has been observed that most women like to consider themselves engaged because it is a great feeling and they see it as a sign of settling down. Most of the women who are engaged are below 35 years, have a high educational profile and 69% of the engaged couples have known each other for more than three years.
When do proposals happen?
- Apparently most of the engagements happen during December, the New Year and February during the Valentine Day period. 64% of the couples are already living together before the actual wedding.
What do couples do during the engagement period?
- Many couples tend to open new bank accounts. They spend a lot of money buying furniture and housewares. They also use this time to fulfil cultural obligations like payment of bride price and marriage counsel.
During the engagement period, what items are known to be costly?
- Most of the couples spend on the engagement rings, wedding rings and any other jewelry. This is costly because real gold and silver is quite expensive.
How many couples move in together before marriage?
- According to Samantha’s survey, 64% of couples are living together before marriage. Nowadays, courtship is done differently as compared to the past. Many young couples prefer to live together before walking down the aisle.
Recently engaged or looking forward to a wedding? See and vote for the best wedding providers in this year’s Kenya Wedding Industry Awards